Saturday, June 9, 2007

Wierd Death

A 17 year old track star died from using too much muscle rub -- or so the New York Medical examiner concluded.

Arielle Newman, a cross-country runner at Notre Dame Academy on Staten Island, died after her body absorbed high levels of methyl salicylate, an anti-inflammatory found in sports creams such as Bengay and Icy Hot, the New York City medical examiner said Friday.


The cherry on top, however, is in the last two paragraphs of the story:

Her mother, Alice Newman, said she still couldn't believe her daughter's death was caused by a sports cream.

"I am scrupulous about my children's health," she told the Advance. "I did not think an over-the-counter product could be unsafe."


What universe is that woman living in? She has never heard of people overdosing on aspirin? Over the counter does not mean "impossible to abuse". Heck, people can die of excessive water intake. It is sorry and sad that her daughter died from using a topical preparation. It is less impossible to believe when the young lady had a mother who thinks that availability equals safety.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

There will be mandatory warning labels on the product in a month because people can't figure out that too much of anything, even chocolate, can be a bad thing.

You would have thought that the odor would have clued someone that the kid was overdoing it.

dragonet2 said...

A while ago I was having calf cramps (despite taking enough potassium, thanks) and I tried using Icy-Hot as well as my usual once-daily knee application. Next morning I woke up tasting the methyl salicylate. I stopped doing That.

From the sound of it, the chick may have probably been having a lot of pain from over-exercising and may have also been too thin. And you're unexperienced with pain relievers at all, more seems to make it better, even if it doesn't really. And teens have no sense.